Primary 1 – August 2020
We are delighted you have chosen to join Udston Primary School and we are excited to welcome you and your child into our school community in August 2020. On this page, you will find important information for you and your child to help support you as you prepare for this special transition.
Owing to the current COVID-19 situation and subsequent school closure, our planned Welcome Sessions have had to be cancelled. We understand that families will be disappointed by this, we are too, however whilst we are unable to physically meet, we will ensure we support you in the following ways:
- Keeping the ‘New Starts’ section of our website updated.
- Sharing important information and updates via our ‘New Starts’ Twitter @UdstonS.
- Sharing our ‘My Starting School Handbook’ for pupils and ‘Transition Handbook for Parents/Carers’.
- Asking families to submit any questions they might have and sharing the answers to these in a FAQs sheet.
- Sharing ‘Early Literacy Ideas’ and ‘Early Numeracy Ideas’.
- Encouraging our learners to ‘master’ some important skills before starting school using our ‘I Can’ Poster to keep track of their progress.
- Sharing a ‘virtual tour’ of important parts of our school building.
- Asking our new children to complete an ‘All About Me’ activity, including a photograph, to allow us to get to know them.
We would also like to reassure families that the Senior Leadership Team will:
- Make contact with your child’s Nursery to get more information about your child’s needs, interests and how we can support them in school.
- Receive copies of your child’s Nursery Transition Report.
- Communicate with other professionals to discuss how we support learners with Additional Support Needs.
- Contact any families who we feel would benefit from enhanced transition support.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is only natural that you have lots of questions regarding your child starting school. Hopefully, we will answer as many of these as possible with our ‘Starting School Handbook for Learners’ and ‘Transition Handbook for Parents/Carers’ which you can access below. However, if you have any unanswered questions, please submit them here.
‘I Can’ Skills Poster
To help your child prepare for starting school, we would encourage them to practise ‘mastering’ a range of everyday skills which will develop their independence and confidence. You can access our ‘I Can‘ Poster below – rememeber to tick off each skill as you go along! You could also tag us on our ‘New Starts’ Twitter @UdstonS to let us know how your child is getting on – we would love to hear from you!
Early Literacy & Numeracy Ideas
Over the next few weeks and months, we would encourage families to continue to engage in Early Literacy and Numeracy activities at home to develop these important skills. This can be done through participation in simple activities such as playing, reading, singing and learning nursery rhymes. Your child should receive a paper copy of our ‘Early Literacy Ideas’ and ‘Early Numeracy Ideas’ in their Transition Pack which was posted to their home address. You can also access these by clicking on the links below:
‘All About Me’ Booklet
Our Welcome Sessions are usually an excellent way of ‘getting to know’ your child before they join us officially in August. This year, as an alternative, we are asking families to complete an ‘All About Me’ activity using the template included in your child’s Transition Pack which was posted to their home address. You can also access an electronic version below.
When they have completed it, please take a photograph of each page and email it back to us. If possible, we would like you to attach a photograph of your child to the email too, this will allow us to put faces to names before our new P1s start school.
Please email the completed ‘All About Me’ activity to Mrs Turnbull email@example.com by Friday 12th June 2020.
Where to Find Us
Keep up to date with the latest Udston Primary School news and information in the following ways:
Udston Primary New Starts – @UdstonS
Udston Primary School Twitter – @udston_primary
School Website – www.udston-pri.s-lanark.sch.uk
Download ‘School App for Parents’ – http://www.udston-pri.s-lanark.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Udston-Primary-School-App-Information.pdf